We prep, ride, camp, hike, cook, and play together! That is what leadership means for us: each person participates towards making the trip awesome.
Each year, once in September and once in end of May, our club travels by car to the Adirondacks, NY to hike in the beautiful nature of these mountains, camp and work on our leadership skills. It's a great experience with spectacular sights and sounds. An experience of a lifetime!
- INCLUDES: camp fees, travel health insurance, food (2 dinners, 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches, hiking guide, group gear (while hiking & camping) and supervision at camp.
- YOU PROVIDE: your own sleeping bag, air mattress, hiking shoes/boots, backpack, clothes, and personal dietary preferences). If you have a tent, please let us know.
- COACHES receive 50% discount.
- DRIVERS (Coaches/Adults) may receive $100 for the use of your vehicle for carpooling ($50/day of hiking).
- 14+ year old or older.
- 10 - 13 years may attend, but must be accompanied by an adult or legal guardian.
- TBC Coaches, Assistant Guides in Training and friends of TBC.
Participants should enjoy long walks in nature. (Saturday ~6 hours, Sunday ~5 hours). No rock climbing, just hiking on your feet, though sometimes you will use your hands for balance. We hike rain or shine. The trail is decided based on the conditions of the day. To test yourself, you should be able to walk 1 hour non-stop to be fit enough for this trip. Go on a walk and test yourself.
4:30 pm - DEPARTURE
7:30 pm - Setup Camp & Eat Dinner
8 am - Breakfast & Prep for Hike
10 am - Hike #1 (Lasts ~6 hours)
6 pm - Dinner @ Camp
7 pm - Camp Fire
8 am - Close Camp, Eat Breakfast & Prep for Hike.
10 am - Hike #2 (Lasts ~4 hours)
3 pm - Depart Adirondacks
6:30 pm - Return to Montreal
What you will need to bring:
1) PASSPORT! or Birth certificate if under 18
2) Hiking SHOES or BOOTS (not running shoes because the soles are too soft and they don't have enough support)
3) BACKPACK (a large schoolbag or hiking backpack; 25L-50L pack).
4) SLEEPING BAG (rated for 5c+), and an AIR MATTRESS, (small pillow & tuque a +).
5) WATER BOTTLES (1.5L total)
6) Hiking CLOTHES (no cotton allowed):
* 1 light outer shell (rain & wind protection)
* 1 fleece inner layer (warmth)
* 2 long sleeve mid layers
* 2 inner layers for dryness
* 3 pairs of socks (non-cotton)
* 2 pairs of underwear
* 1 pair of shorts
* 1 pair of long pants
7) Camp CLOTHES:
* 1 set of comfy warm camp clothes
* 1 set of PJs
8) FOOD: We provide the food for 2 Dinners, 2 Breakfasts and 2 lunches. If you have special dietary requirements or allergies, please bring your own food.
10) TENT (optional. let us know if you have one in good shape).
Note: If you are missing personal gear, let us know and we'll help you find some. We have cooking gear, plates and cutlery but you have to help cook and clean :-)
COACH NICK HAS OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN OUTDOOR HIKING AND CAMPING IN THE ADIRONDACKS. HE IS A GUIDE WITH THE OUTDOOR EDUCATION PROGRAM AT JOHN ABBOTT COLLEGE FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS AND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR GUIDING THE TRIP. PARTICIPANTS SHOULD NOTE THAT THEY STILL ASSUME THE RISKS RELATED TO THE ACTIVITY, DISCUSSED IN THE MEETING.
- Potable/drinkable water, clean outhouses with toilet paper, a covered eating area. a fire pit, no cell phone reception, 10 minutes by car to closest store/phone reception.
-Unless extreme weather is expected, this trip occurs under all weather conditions and temperatures (0-30C). Be prepared for rain and colder nights.
- Maturity is a must for all participants. All participants must follow the group and guide instructions at all times.
Have fun, be safe, and enjoy the outdoors!
Fall 2022 - Wright Peak 4,587'
Coaches: Quin, Vanda, Alan.
Players: Daniel, Nicolas & Cyril
Guide: Coach Nick
Spring 2023 - Avalanche Pass
Coaches: Vanda & Alan
Players: Luca & Killian
Guide: Coach Nick